Sunday, July 20, 2008

Food Update

Thursday July 17: Tunaburgers with veggies & Jell-o as sides: I did not make the jello...but for dessert I used the cherry chocolate bars recipe from my mother in law and made cherry chocolate cupcakes, half with chocolate frosting, and half with that funfetti frosting (store bought of course-I don't make frosting...)
Here's the Tunaburgers recipe:

1 can Tuna
2-3 hard-boiled eggs
1/2 t minced onion
2 T sweet pickles, chopped (use sweet relish-it's easier)
1/2 t mustard
3 T Mayo
1 C grated cheese (really use any kind you like-I used sharp cheddar)
hamburger buns

Mix all ingredient but the cheese and buns together. Spread bus with tune mixture, sprinkle with cheese. Place under broiler until warmed through and cheese is melted, or wrap in foil and heat in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or so (until cheese is melted). (as a side note, these work awesome as camping food-use the foil method and put in coals.)

Friday July 18: Chicken and Rice Casserole: turned into Chicken and Orzo casserole. I made up the recipe as I went using the leftover Orzo & leftover BBQ chicken I had. It turned out GREAT-really yummy!! Here is my recipe for Greek-like Casserole:

Leftover Orzo
Leftover BBQ chicken
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomatoes
1 can green beans
leftover mini corns
some balsamic vinegar
bread crumbs
Parmesan
Lemon butter

Mix all together in a pan except bread crumbs, Parmesan & lemon butter. Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan together, make the lemon butter. Sprinkle the bread crumb and Parmesan mixture over the casserole and put the lemon butter over that. Bake in the oven uncovered for about 25 minutes or until warmed through and until top is nice and crusty. It is an awesome recipe!!

Saturday July 19: Turkey Burgers and Fries and veggies: worked out well. I did get a bit creative here though. We bought pre-made turkey burgers in a box. The box had a serving suggestion to just make basically a Hawaiian burger by putting the turkey burger on a bun with a pineapple round and sweet n sour teriyaki sauce. Sounds good right? I thought so, but I had no sweet and sour teriyaki sauce, so I decided to make up my own. Here is basically what I did for my teriyaki sweet and sauce:

In a small sauce pan mix the following and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until it thickens-

Teriyaki sauce
brown sugar
white vinegar
garlic
cornstarch (I used flour cause I was out of cornstarch-would have been better with the cornstarch)
garlic
apricot gelatin (just about 1/3-1/2 of a package for some sweet fruitiness)


Sunday July 20: Puetro Rican Pot Roast with roasted veggies, green salad & bread: This meal is in the works as we speak. The pot roast is in the crock pot, basically done. I was going to do roasted/baked potatoes & carrots with Greek seasoning to go with it, but we did not buy potatoes, so that side is out. Instead I am serving it with rice, veggies (broccoli), green salad, and my favorite take and bake bread from the grocery store here. Mmmm, I am getting hungry just smelling it as I type. Also, I made a version of cherry chocolate bars that are actually Orange yellow cake bars, and I made (get ready for a shock) homemade frosting to go on it as I have no good frosting left. Oh-and BTW-the recipe I used is not something I liked enough to share. If anyone has a great frosting recipe, please, please share it!!! Here is the recipe for Puerto Rican Pot Roast (from my mother in law):

Crisp Bacon in small chunks
stuffed green olives
pot roast
garlic (fresh or powdered)
salt & pepper to taste
16-20 oz tomato sauce
flour

cut random slits in pot roast and stuff them alternately with the bacon and the green olives throughout the meat. Next, sprinkle the meat with pepper and garlic (if using fresh garlic, rub it on the outside of the roast). Then, dredge (pound) the flour into the meat. Brown the meat in the bacon grease in a pot. When it is all browned, drain the fat. Add 1/3 C green olive juice to the meat in the pot (I used a crock pot). Pour over the top of the meat, the tomato sauce. Put the lid on and simmer for 6-7 hours for best results, or at least 3 hours. Check meat for desired doneness before serving.


MMMMM....Good stuff. I'll keep updating the food lists. So far so good!

2 comments:

Andrea Griggs said...

Those sound yummy-I don't think I've ever had a turkey burger, I'll have to try to make it sometime. This is fun, I'm going to have to steal some recipes from you!

Andrea Griggs said...

Dumb question. . . you posted the sauce recipe you used for your turkey burgers, but not how to make turkey burgers. . . how do you make turkey burgers? Do you add small bits of vegetables in the turkey or is it just turkey? I'm interested to try and make turkey burgers once. . . thanks.

Swidget 1.0 2