Friday, September 12, 2008

Grocery store

So, I have mentioned that I believe there is an overabundance of advice shared at grocery stores here where I live. The older generation is a bit too excited to tell you how you should be dealing with your kids at each and every public outing. I believe this is due to the fact that they still think this city is a small town and that they should know and be friendly with everyone. Whatever the reason, I get a lot of not-so-positive or nice feedback on my parenting. Also, my kids are pretty good, so I cannot imagine what these people are saying to the parents with the totally out of control kids running all over the store screaming and basically unsupervised!

That being said, today I stopped at the store. We ran quickly through and got to the checkout where chaos always ensues. (Please, please, please, for the love! Take the dang candy off the check outs and away from little fingers.) We had one of those car carts where the 2 boys were sitting in the front with Kindle in her carseat in the cart itself. At the checkout, after being told to stay in and not grab stuff or put body parts out, Ender decided that was the best time to try to get out. There was not enough room as I had already repeatedly told him, and he was getting "squished" and saying"mom, it hurts." I said, "Yeah I know, go back in so you won't hurt." He's like "No, I am getting out, I'm just stuck!" He continues to try to get out where there is NO room, and I kept telling him to stop and go back in. He did not listen over and over, finally I said, "Gosh Ender, I was going to ground you from the Wii for not listening to me, but I guess right now you are just experiencing the natural consequences of this. You are hurting because of the poor choice you are making. Let me know when you are done and have decided to go back in and stop hurting yourself. " (Obviously, he wasn't actually going to injure himself really-it was just squishy and uncomfortable) It took him about 20 seconds to muse over that and to get back in the car.

Anyway! The older couple in front of me in line had just finished paying at that point, and the wife came back and grabbed my arm. I thought, 'Oh boy, here it comes, the lecture on the behavior.' Instead she said, "You are doing a great job mom! I am so glad to hear you with your kids-I loved you letting him experience the natural consequence and explaining to him that it was happening because of his choice! My husband and I actually teach parents how to deal with their kids through the school district and you are the perfect example of the concepts we teach in action! I will be telling all my students about you! Thanks for being a shining example-you are great!"

I was stunned and surprised. (And tearing up with joy as I was caught in a good parenting moment for once and it was noted!) Then the manager of the store came over and told me that that couple is like the main big wig experts in town and they are on the news and stuff all the time talking about parenting.

So, Yeah for me for being a good parent today-I just thought I deserved a pat on the back and I wanted to share it with you all (and I wanted a nice story up here to read over when I am frustrated with myself as a parent)!

I hope all you parents out there get told how great you are once in a while too!! Cause I know my readers and you all are GREAT parents-thanks for being my examples and for helping me to have moments like this!

4 comments:

Andrea Griggs said...

Good job-it's always good to hear that you're being a good Mommy! It's nice to hear it once in a while.

Natalie said...

Congratulations! You are an amazing--AMAZING--mother and I'm glad you got recognized for it. I'm proud of you!

Sarah Coyne said...

Ah, you gotta love those checkout moments. Good job on keeping your cool and for impressing the experts! you are an awesome mom!!!

Stefanie said...

Way to go Mom! Also props to the old lady for giving you props.

Swidget 1.0 2