Sunday, July 22, 2007

The problem with "High School Musical"

OK-so here is the problem with "High School Musical." It gives the impression that things like being smart or playing a sport are real talents that people have to work to deveolp and perfect, but somehow drama/music is just something anyone can do. Any random kid in the school can just stop by auditions and accidently be discovered and get the lead in the musical. And the "drama kids" are just snotty, untalented kids, although they have presumably been developing and working on their acting and singing skills/talents as much as the basketball kid has been practicing basketball, or as much as the smart girl has been studying. As if their skills and talents are jsut nothing? And I know people love to pretend that the real point of the movie is that "We're all in this Together" as the song suggests, but I thinik the real point is that no matter how many different activities and groups you could be part, there is really only a few kids that end up taking over ALL the main parts of every group. The groups mesh in that the same kids take over all groups...and push everyone else out...This really pisses me off as a "drama geek." I guess all those years of voice lessons, acting classes, dance classes, and experience performing were all for naught as it is apparent that any joe schmo off the street can come in and do all that stuff with no training whatsoever...

Also. the way they portray drama teachers is pathetic, embarassing and offensive. In my years I have had many many drama teachers, worked with many drama teachers, and of course been a drama teacher (at the school where they filmed this movie I might add...), and I have never, NEVER seen a drama teacher (or any teacher for that matter like the one on this movie. I am not an idiot, so I can see the stereotype joke they are going for, but they missed the mark by miles, and it is pathetic-pathetic writing, pathetic directing and pathetic acting (if you can call it that). AWFUL!!

1 comment:

Andrea Griggs said...

Really? My kids and I love High School Musical. We can't wait to see the 2nd one.

Swidget 1.0 2