Friday, January 25, 2008

When I met a super star...

OK-Sarah Tomoser-this one is for you!

In a previous post I mentioned a story about meeting a famous person. As Wes has pointed out, this story cannot possibly live up now after mentioning it in that post, but here it is anyway.

It was 1997 and I had just graduated from high school. For my senior trip I went with my drama class and drama teacher to New York City. My drama teacher's good friend was our tour guide (basically he was our tour coordinator, but because he was friends with our teacher, he came into town for a couple days when we were there and hung out with us and showed us a bunch of the cool stuff you wouldn't get to see in a normal tour). So this guy was with us at a show one night, and we were supposed to go back to our hotel right after, but instead he was like, "Hey does anyone what to go eat the best dessert in Manhattan?" (He said the famous Lindy's cheesecake was good, but this place was supposed to be a non-tourist location. A place where the native New Yorkers would go for awesome dessert). So, of course, not being one to pass up an adventure (or a great dessert), I of course was the first to jump on that bandwagon. So, a small group of us jumped on the Subway and went to this great place called Mona Lisa. It rocked and the desserts lived up beautifully. After the dessert, our tour guru asked if we wanted to go for a walk around one of the nicest and most exclusive neighborhoods in New York (it was just a few blocks away). Again, I was the first to jump on this bandwagon, and a smaller group of us followed our guru to this great neighborhood.

So, there we were, late at night walking in this great neighborhood around this private gated park. I somehow got behind the group a little and also somehow thought I was still with them. I was still talking to my friends (who, as noted, were ahead of me and not listening anymore), when I turned a corner and literally ran into this over sized (huge) poodle. I looked up at the owner (for the first time noticing I was no longer with my friends) and said, "Sorry...cute dog..." The owner said "Thank you" and looked kind of strangely at me. I talked to this woman for a minute (just nothing/small talk) before she went on with her dog walk, and I saw my friends and went to catch up with them. They were all standing across the street and staring with gaping mouths (including the guru). I walked over and said "What?" They all stared for a minute, then someone said, "Did you realize that was Julia Roberts?" I was in disbelief. So, I turned back to the dog owner who was of course walking the other way, but she happened to have stopped to cross the street, and she turned and waved at me. I waved back as it struck me that it was in fact Julia Roberts...

2 comments:

Sarah T. said...

Okay, that was not disappointing in the least. I love the fact that you were so suave. Plus I may like it just a bit more because it was Julia Roberts and she is one of my favorite actresses.

PS: Thanks for the correction on my movie blog, I don't know what I was thinking. It may have been a casualty of multi-tasking.

Andrea Griggs said...

I remember hearing that story-I thought it was so cool! Then I saw Pierce Brosnan (one of my very favorites. . .and he is just as good looking in person as he is on the big screen) in NYC (that was awesome) and thought of you and this story.

Swidget 1.0 2